Friday, March 18, 2011

It's Tomorrow!


The half marathon. It's really here! And I would love to say that I'm stoked and it's everything I've been waiting for
and that I'm super buff and that I'm a legit runner and that I'm going to ROCK it
but right now all I can say is that...
I'm kinda nervous.
I've never done a half marathon, I've never even been an athlete and... all the girls I'm going with ARE.
But I am me. Lindsey Anne. And three years ago? I couldn't even jog thirteen minutes. And tomorrow, I will run thirteen miles. I will. It might take me an hour longer than everyone else, but that's okay.
I'm still me, and it's my goals and my time and my experience that doesn't need to be compared to anyone else's. It's not a race. Just an experience--that I will love, if I conquer my fear.

Can I list all the things that could be worse at this point?
The muscle I pulled in my leg three weeks ago could still be hurting, but it's not hurting. Yes!
I could be sore from working out too hard, but I'm not sore.
It could be higher altitude and harder, but it's not. Moab is lower altitude, warmer, and BEAUTIFUL!
I could be going with people who don't care about me. But these girls, although they are much more in shape than I am, really care for me and are my best friends. They'll wait and they won't make me feel dumb.
I could be sleep deprived or sick, and I'm not. I'm healthy.

And there is a big part of me that is incredibly excited. Carb loading, stretching, layering up, wearing an iPod, talking with people along the way, shedding those layers
and running distances I would have never thought possible,
A road trip with my dearest dietetics friends, doing something I've never done before.
I can do hard things.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Linds! This is awesome! I'm sure that you did great. I'm very impressed with you and your willingness to continually try and do hard things. Its a great example to me.

Lindsey Anne said...

Thanks Jeness! I just saw that you posted-thanks for your your kind words. It turned out really well, so all my worries were put to rest. I loved it!