Thursday, January 15, 2009

Microbiology 221

Last night, I went over to Liberty Square to meet up with a few girls from my class to do a group project.
"Group project" makes you think of tedious studying for hours in a dull scheduled classroom,
problems and questions and referencing and citing...
right?
My group project was cookie-making.
Our group signed up to go first so we could do our presentation on prokaryotic bacterial cells. We showed the differences between Gram-positive and Gram-negative cells.
I was in charge of making the frosting. I loved it. I dyed some of it purple and some of it pink. I left a little bit to make yellow and blue for the lipid bilayer.
I was in charge of explaining the peptidoglycan, represented by the Pull N Peel Twizzlers. Gram-positive cells have a thicker layer of peptidoglycan, which retains more of the crystal violet dye when it is stained. That's why it's purple.
We passed out our leftover candy to the class during our presentation. People tried their hardest to not look like idiots and get excited about the candy. But I could tell they were excited. Who passes out candy organelles in a college lecture?
My very favorite part:
walking up the hill, past the Benson and into the Marb carrying two 9X13 pans of the weirdest looking sugar cookies anybody has ever seen. Everyone that passed me did a double take, but tried not to stare. I could tell they were staring though. Who carries giant sugar cookies across campus?
I bet they wished they were in Microbiology 221 with me.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I wish I was in microbiology with you! Those cookies look awesome. You're so great Lindsey. And really smart... all that talk of organelles and cells was over my head.

Adam and Lisa said...

Linds! YOu are so hilarious! That is seriously AWESOME that you did that. Plus, your amazing writing skills make it even funnier. (Is that a word?) Why couldn't we have been in school together? did we really need to be 6 years apart? We definitely would have been friends in high school. Love you girl.

Amanda S. said...

I just found your blog on your Facebook. It's very entertaining! I look forward to reading more!

Danny McMillan said...

Good, Lindsey. Clever and tasty. When I was a senior at BYU, we had to do presentations for a lab, and our topic was TNF, tumor necrosis factor. We put together the powerpoint slideshow and gave a mediocre presentation. Then, our TA asked a question and it was obvious no one in our group knew the answer. I stepped up to bluff. I said some BS that sounded great until the TA said, "Guys, it was a `reporter gene assay. You totally missed it." So I said, "Just have another doughnut, Randy." I got an A- in that class and was stoked. And that was the only time someone called my bluff.