Saturday, May 21, 2011

This was today! I did it. Half marathon #2! My brother-in-law Jared and I took mom and dad's spots, so today my name was Janine and Jared's was Glen. We rocked it! I wasn't as nervous this time, although I should have been! Running 7 miles before the race isn't exactly training... but the course was so GLORIOUS and it was a beautiful day
and Jared is a great running buddy, although he is much more in shape than me and did most of the talking.
I love it. Running. I really do - the kind of running that makes you raise both hands in the air and exclaim AH! I LOVE THIS! IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THIS!
the Gu and the carb loading and the powerade
volunteers with signs that say You Got This!
the perseverance quotes like Pain is temporary, but pride is forever, so shut up and run

What else do I love about running?
Creating a new playlist on the pod with all my new favorite songs, especially this one that came at mile six
and this one at mile 11,
the people in my miles who keep me going, even if their songs come later than I was hoping
I love the journey. I set my cruise control and there was this fire in me to keep going
and I kept going.
Tenacity.

There were a lot of favorite parts, but my two very favorites:
seeing the temple when I turned the corner for the last mile, and seeing my PARENTS with a half mile left to go. They were THERE! They found me and ran with me and took pictures and encouraged me on and were so proud that I was 20 minutes faster than last time

and I shouted at the top of my lungs that I hate dietetics and I hate dietitians and I hate that I have a degree in dietetics and that I hate I'm becoming a dietitian
because last night after my (HORRIBLE) day at work at the hospital, Dad said that I should shout curses on dietetics as I crossed the finish line...
and I did. Dad gives great advice.

And today? It was a good day at the hospital, and I'll probably still become a dietitian.
And forever? I will love running.

3 comments:

Julia M. said...

Way to go!! You are a superstar!

Chelle said...

Linds you are SO AWESOME!! I'm so proud of you. And I can't believe you shaved 20 min off your time, that is just incredible. Do you really hate dietetics, or did you just have a bad day?? Anyway, what a great accomplishment.

Bianca said...

Linds! That is so awesome! I'm soo proud of yoU! I hope the hospital gets better! If not come back and work with me again! Miss you!